Sunday, February 22, 2009

Santa Barbara Zoo

On Saturday we went to the Santa Barbara Zoo with Jen, Travis and Theresa. The kids had a great time. Travis is not into having his picture taken much these days, where as Theresa will pose for the camera and do weird smiles. We went on the train ride and it stopped by the Lion, who decided to make an appearance and walked towards us. I kept wondering if the chain fence is enough to keep him there.


Theresa got to feed the Giraffe. Travis did not want to feed it this time but he did do it when we were there last year.

The Giraffe's tongue is long, purple and very slimy. Theresa kept throwing the food towards the mouth and was trying to get it to land on his tongue. When I feed it last time the tongue wrapped around my finger and took the food so I do know how slimy it feels.



I was surprised that the otters were out and playing. Normally when I go they are sleeping.


Both of the Gorillas were out. This one was sitting on a rock and eating. We believe that he was eating poop, but we were not postive about that. The other people watching him were saying the same thing because he kept getting more "food" from underneath him. It was pretty gross.




I was amazed to see how he used his hands to hold his food. He pretty much has human hands.


We did see the penguins also. Not many of them were out and none were in the water. I guess they were having problems with the pumps in the pool so they were trying to clean it.




Theresa was very excited to see the Porcupines. I call her Porcupine because she can be prickly. I was actually pretty surprised at how big they were.



We saw some colerful birds, which were loud and smelled really bad.






The Jagurs were sitting on their "rocks". I had to zoom in a lot to get this picture. I like how it appears that he is looking at us.

We also came across this really strange bird. It was called a Rhinoceros something. It looks like it has 2 beaks. I kept staring at it for a long time because it was just to weird looking.






Next Zoo trip we are going to make is to the LA Zoo. I haven't been there since Theresa was little and they have a lot more animals.








2 comments:

Jim and Heather on Meerkat said...

What about the meerkats? No pics of the meerkats???
Hmmmppphhh.

Jennifer said...

They weren't out so I did not take a picture of their empty area. Next time I will keep going back until they come out.