Monday, October 13, 2008

Prop 8

I normally do not go crazy over politics. I hate discussing them with people as it is alway a difference of opinion between people. The prop 8 commercials are driving me insane. We saw the one yesterday where the little girl brings home a book from school and tells her mother that she learned that 2 princes can marry each other and so she can marry another girl (this happened in Massachusetts where they do not have the same laws that we have). So basically the people for prop 8 are telling me that if it passes our kids will learn all about gay marriage in school. Well Calfornia has a law that kids learning about health and marriage has to have a signed permission slip from their parents in order to stay in the class. I read the story about the teacher who got married in San Francisco and her first grade students where there. One of the mothers of the students came up with the idea of the kids going and 2 students did not go because their parents did not approve. So to me that says that yes parents do have a choice. I know people will say, you don't have any kids yet so what does it matter. Well some of you don't know that I do have a gay step brother and if he was to decide that he wanted to get married I would support him 100%.

Here is the link to the story that I read
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/10/11/MNFG13F1VG.DTL
Read it if you want to or don't read it. I know that everyone will be voting the way they feel. Now I have shared my opinion on the subject and I really don't want to talk about it much longer. I am now just counting down the days until those commercials are no longer on tv.

5 comments:

Double Blink said...

Defining marriage as between one man and one woman is not taking away anyone's rights. The definition simply distinguishes a union which is biologically designed to produce its own children. Whether a married couple has children or not, I feel like this deserves a separate name--even the potential is kind of a miracle.

Actually this definition can be seen as the ultimate expression of equality our society has to offer: it takes one man and one woman. One could see a lesbian union as a marginalization of men, or a homosexual union as a marginalization of women.

Equality is especially important when it comes to raising children. Children deserve/need a father and a mother. Neither parent should be marginalized.

Yes, many children are already growing up in single-parent homes. Prop 8 should be a reminder to everyone that as a society we need to assist and strengthen families as much as possible. Really, as a society we should be most concerned with the success and health of our families.

http://emiliadelmar.blogspot.com/2008/10/legislation-and-social-issues.html

http://gr8prop8deb8.blogspot.com/

peace!

Jennifer said...

Dear Ms. Lee,

FIrst of all I do not know you so I do not intend to go back and forth with you on this subject. Do you know how many same sex couples adopt child where their biological parents do not want them?? How many children are out there where they are being raised by a single parent and the other parent has nothing to do with them? Kids deserve 2 parents, whether they are a male and female or both the same sex. It does not mean that the child will be loved any less. We as a society need to teach tolerance. Tolerance for same sex couples as well as race. We all have a difference of opinion on this subject and I was merely stating mine. If you do not agree with me then that is your choice.

Elizabeth said...

yikes, is someone going around finding all the blogs that mention prop 8 or something? how did ms lee find you? I'm going to have to blog about this issue now!! insert evil laugh here.

The Clobes Crew said...

Go Ms. Lee.

"The definition simply distinguishes a union which is biologically designed to produce its own children."

That is a great point. Marriage is for biologicaly designed commitments and civil unions are for commitments that are not biologically designed. I like it.

Jen, you said "Do you know how many same sex couples adopt child where their biological parents do not want them??"

Do you know? Seriously, do you have any statistics from a credible source? It would make sense for them to have a higher percentage of couples who adopt since they cannot have children on their own.

You also said "Kids deserve 2 parents, whether they are a male and female or both the same sex."

I have always thought it was best for a two parent home because the father teaches the kids different things than the mother and vice versa. For instance, when one f the kids gets hurt, Mera comforts them while I discuss with them about being tough and moving on. But why do kids need two parents if they are both of the same sex? What does the one parent offer that the other parent can't? Why is two the magical number for you?

Meghan said...

Jen, I'm glad you have a brain. I agree 100%. I think that it doesn't matter who marries who. It doesn't affect the people who have already been married. It doesn't affect ANYONE besides the gay couple getting married.

GO GAYS! lol.