Saturday, August 25, 2007

A Really Bad Week

This week has been terrible. It all startd on Sunday when I received a call from my dad letting me know that my grandma was in the hospital in San Deigo and she was unresponsive. I thought ok, what do I do. I kept myself busy on Sunday and did not worry about it. On Monday I got an email from my aunt. At that point it had been determined that grandma probably had congestive heart failure and was not doing well. Tuesday came along and I did not get an update that morning. I went to work and had an emotional day. That night I got my update that the hospice social worker thought grandma might not make it until Friday. I did not know what to do. I stayed up most of Tuesday night trying to decide if I should go to San Deigo or not. I got to work and sometime in between 8:20 and 8:30 Wednesday morning I decided I needed to go. I finished what work I needed to do and left about 10. I got home and Jeremy got ready to leave when my dad called to tell me that grandma had passed away at 8:20 that morning. I told him that I was just leaving to go see her so should could not be gone already. Jeremy and I got in the car to go down and see her body, but on the way my aunt let us know that we would not be able to see her until friday. So I thougth ok what do we do now. We truned around and went to the Santa Paula Cemetery which is where we are going to bury her ashes. We got the rice qoute we thought we needed only the other problem is that grandma wanted to be buried with her dad. Jeremy and I went back today and got the real price for the buriel...I hate cemeteries!!! On Friday we went fown and saw my grandma's body. I thought I would lose it and cry the whole time but I surprised myself I did not cry. I checked her out and kind of had to laugh...she was in a cardboard box. Apparently when you are going to be cremated they transfer you in a body bag and a cardboard box. Grandma looked good she was not pastey white like they are on tv. She was more yellow. Her eyes were donated to help someone else see, however when we saw her, the lids were glused shut and you could not tell that the eyes were gone. I touched her a few times and lifted more of the lid off of the box so I could look at her whole body. While we were standing in the room, the door opened really slowly and of course no one walked in. It got colder at that time too. My aunt said it was just the air conditioning and that the door was not all the way closed when we walked in. Jeremy and i laughed about it today and decided it was grandma telling us to leave already. Jeremy and i hd gone down to see her in January and about an hour after we got there she told us to leave becasuse Jeremy looked tired and we should go home. So now we are planning a memorial service which will be in a few months and in the meantime I am going to remember grandma and all of the fun stuff we used to do. Maybe I will remember some good stories to tell.

1 comments:

Tammy said...

sorry to hear about your grandma. it sounds like you loved her very much. my sympathies.